Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Four families able to return home, four others still staying at shelter

Family members of Norhayati Abdullah from Kampung Penapar tidying up their sleeping area at Kg Tanjong Maya mosque, where they have been relocated since January 19 after their house was flooded. Picture: BT/Saifulizam

Nurses and doctor on standby at their post in the Tanjong Maya multipurpose hall after the flood waters begin to recede in Tutong. Picture: BT/Saifulizam

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FOUR families are still staying at the temporary shelters at three sites in Tutong following the flood that hit their homes on Wednesday, January 19.

Eight families had been evacuated from their houses when their homes were deemed unsafe for habitation by Tutong Incident Command Post Officers running inspections around the district.

They were relocated to temporary shelters at four sites in the district.

The Brunei Times went to the Tanjong Maya Operations Centre yesterday and were informed that some families had returned to their houses.

The Operation Centre also functioned as a temporary shelter. The shelter was home to the family of Mahali Hj Md Said during the period. The family of three had move back to their house in Kg Sebakit Atas earlier that morning.

Two out of four families in the second location at the Koperasi Pertama (cooperative restaurant) had returned to their homes.

Brothers from Kg Penapar, Metussin and Basri Lulih brought their families back to their houses on January 23 and 22 respectively.

Two more families (comprising nine individuals) from Kg Penapar are still staying at the shelter.

The hall of Kg Tanjong Maya mosque functioned as the third temporary shelter. Two families were relocated to the mosque the family of Norhayati Abdullah from Kg Penapar and Hjh Sarakiah Hj Abd Hamid.

Hjh Sarakiah moved back to her house yesterday.

Only one family is relocated at the fourth shelter, the former building of Tanjong Maya Health Clinic. The 15-member family of Hj Ismail Hj Parun is from Kg Sebakit Atas.

Secretary General of Gemilang Association, Fadhlina Bakar, one of the volunteers at the Operation Centre said it will take a longer time for Hj Ismail's family to return to their home considering that their house is badly affected.

Depending on the (flood) situation at their homes, the families can move back once the flood has receded.

However, some of the families prefer to clean up their homes and get everything ready first before moving back in. So they will spend an extra day or two (at the shelters), she said.

Norhayati, 59, was one of the family members that had to be relocated to Kg Tanjong Maya mosque told The Brunei Times that her family of 10 had been staying at the mosque since January 19.

Norhayati's house was also one of the houses visited by His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam during his surprise visit to inspect the flood situation in the district on January 19.

Norhayati was touched by the care and attention shown by His Majesty to the residents.

"During the visit, His Majesty asked about our well-being and asked us to be relocated considering the condition of our house. The store room at the house had collapsed. This is the worst flood we had over the years," she said.

The wooden stilt house in Kg Penapar has been home to Norhayati's family for 30 years.

"His Majesty visited our home around 11am, and we were relocated by 5.30pm," she said.

Norhayati's six children are still schooling.

"Four of my children are studying in Tanjong Maya Secondary school while two of them are in Penapar Primary school. They had not been to school for a week. InsyaAllah (God willing), they will go to school tomorrow," she said.

Norhayati is also grateful for the assistance from the government agencies, village consultative council as well as volunteers given to her family and the residents affected by the flood.

The Brunei Times